Friday, October 19, 2007

Translation and Missippi

I think I want to compare "Lost Translation," and "Coming of Age in Missippi." I didn't even think about comparing them until class today. In both stories there is a theme of struggle. I'd like to talk about how both women, although they went through different situations, struggled adjusting. Neither of the articles used in class for these stories go with what I would like to talk about. In Lost in Translation Eva Hoffman has issues with the different cultures between Canada and Poland. She develops a lot of hatred thoughout her life towards people. Just like in Coming of Age in Misssippi, Anne Moody also starts hating everyone. She hated white people and black people. I am going to compare how both women are effected by their situations so much that they took it out on other people.

1 comment:

caroline said...

This is a good start... Again, though, I wonder if you couldn't write just a bit more for this journal entry. You really only touch the surface of what you want to explore. Also, writing about struggle is fine. That could be a good way to explore both texts. You might look at the articles the other class posted to see if they would be helpful to you.